A simple and quick way to grow your network is to import a list of your contact to LinkedIn. Doing this will upload your address book contacts, as well as their detailed contact information.
Here are several easy steps to import your address book:
- Move your cursor over My Network at the top of your homepage and select Add Contacts.
- On the right side of the screen, click the button for the email provider you use. If you don't see your provider, click Other Email.
- Enter your information if it's not already there.
- Click Continue.
- Contacts who are already on LinkedIn will be displayed. Look through the list because there may be some people you do not want to connect with on LinkedIn.
- Click Add Connections to send invitations or click Skip. Contacts who are not yet on LinkedIn will be displayed next. You may see phone number contacts listed if you've imported your mobile contacts previously (these contacts will receive a SMS text invitation to join). Click the Skip link if you don't want to invite anyone or click Add to Network to invite them to join.
- Remember, if you don't want to send invitations to everyone on the list, be sure to uncheck the Select All box and individually check the boxes next to contacts you want to invite.
(Please note that if your email provider supports OAuth (an authentication technology that allows sites like LinkedIn to access certain information from sources such as your email without knowing your email password) a new window will appear where you can authorize LinkedIn to import your contacts. You can revoke this permission anytime through your email provider's settings. If your email provider doesn't support OAuth, you'll need to enter your email password before clicking Continue.)
* Connecting with people you already know will encourage them to look at your profile and possibly contact you for new business opportunities.